It’s a common known fact that most of our projects, whether it be hanging photos, decorating or tearing down walls, start of with a sketch or two.
Our Blogger Office Makeover has been no different.
The first sketch, that I’m titling… “Painting Time” comes from this little chick…
I found this just a few days ago, sitting in the pile of papers in my (now crazy-messy) office. I asked Jocelynn about the picture and she said, “Oh, I made that a long time ago. That’s you, and that’s Daddy. I wanted to make it for you, so you could see what the office would look like with all the gray paint on the walls when it was finished. And see!… you’re happy, because you like it!”
PS. Those are paint brushes in our hands and paint cans on the floor by our feet. NOT telephones and stools to sit on! (blush) You would think that I’d learn after being a Mom for 6 years, that you don’t ever try to GUESS what’s actually IN the photo… you patiently just wait for the child to explain the entire picture to you first.
PPS. Only on RARE occasions do I wear my fanciest of triangle dresses to paint. She must have caught me on a good day.
The second sketch, done by this guy… (aka: my Dad)
is one I’ve come to title: “Trying to put down on paper, what my crazy daughter has in her mind for this larger than life built-in storage nook for her office.“
I know, I know… my poor Dad.
But… to be fair, all of this DIY passion and creativeness inside me DOES come from him… so technically it’s kiiiinda his fault that I can’t just be content going out and buying an already made piece of furniture or built-in type cabinet for this space… right?
The wheels in my head first started turning when I spotted these adorable large Alex drawers from IKEA. I wasn’t fond of the wheels, but that was no problem, because we could just choose not to add them.
I loved how far back the drawers went, and actually liked how shallow they were (drawers too deep = hard to find items and more clutter) so I grabbed two of these bad boys and had Cason help me assemble them one night.
I knew that the drawers wouldn’t be very tall, but they turned out a LOT shorter then I thought they’d be. So I had my Dad help me build a platform from some 2×4’s in a grid type pattern that they could sit on, like this.
And that’s when things got interesting.
Once I saw how much these new drawers looked almost like cabinets (now with sort of a kick-plate effect underneath) I had lots of ideas flying through my mind! With a little more sketching, a LOT of sanding and some new painting techniques… I think I’ve almost got the “look” I’m going for!
I’m just waiting on some items that are being shipped to me and have a few more finishing touches to do, before showing you more progress photos on how this cool little custom organizational unit is coming along!
But no worries, I won’t leave you in suspense for too long. While I’m waiting on the snail mail to deliver me my goods, I’m going to be putting a tutorial together on how to get MY version of an “old barn wood” look on new, store-bought lumber… so stay tuned.
I hope everyone had a productive weekend as well!