If you follow along on my Instagram stories, then you know I like to share my after school snack ideas almost everyday. I started doing this little series as a way to share yummy, quick snacks with other mommas out there who struggle with ideas on what to feed their “staaaarving” kiddos after a long day at school. And of course, they’re obviously adult friendly too.
I also started a tradition a while back, where I greet each of my girls with the same saying (in a loud, cheesy, happy voice) as they walk through the door.
“Hey girl, heeeey!”😆
A little while ago I explained a bit more on Instagram why I think a good after school snack, having any sort of routine, and happily greeting your kids each day (if possible) is so important to me. I worked out of the house for a couple years and wasn’t always able to be home for my girls, but now that I’m mostly working from home, I’ve been able to see the difference it can make.
FROM MY INSTAGRAM POST:
“My kids’ emotions are typically high after school. Do you have kids like this? I feel like there is a ton of overstimulation at school, and a LOT of being seen but not heard and obeying other people’s standards. Hyper, tired, frustrated, ornery, chatty…whatever it may be, I’ve found that a simple big hug, telling them how much I missed them, and FOOD… of ANY kind, immediately can help my kids shift into a better frame of mind.
It takes some effort on my part, but it’s SO worth it. Less rummaging through my pantry, making messes, overeating… and theres something mentally that feels really good about hearing you were missed.
I also don’t push too many questions right away and allow them to completely check out for about an hour. iPad, phone, book, nap, tv, FaceTime with a friend…whatever. I try to remember how I felt when I was a kid, and I don’t recall much, but I definitely remember always feeling tired and hungry – especially as a teenager. Sometimes my girls will talk my ears off, other times they disappear and decompress for the entire hour alone in their rooms. But I find, either way, allowing them to shake off the day however they need to, makes it way easier to get homework done and help later with chores.”
As you know, Instagram stories disappear after 24 hours, so I promised you guys who asked that I’d jot down my after school snack ideas in a post on the blog, so it’s easier to reference!
Nothing is fancy, the snacks are made with normal ingredients (usually pretty healthy… sometimes not so much😬) and they’re ALWAYS served on a paper plate – duh… easy clean up🙌.
– My pictures are pretty crappy. Most are screenshots from my Insta-story sharing, but just like I tell my kids… “you get what you get and you don’t throw a fit” 😝
– I make my girls a pretty good sized snack each day. They all eat lunch at school around 11ish, get home by 3:00 and then we don’t have dinner until about 6ish.
– I’m well aware that these snacks aren’t anything “that special” or out of the ordinary. But sometimes it’s nice to get OTHER peoples ideas, to see what THEY love and feed their families. You know… it’s like going to a friends house and rummaging through their pantry/fridge and being excited because they have totally different food than what you would typically buy. (Come on, you know what I’m talkin’ about)
Okay, so here we go!
I’m going to post a few picture collages and then list under them, what each after school snack idea is!
1. Pizza bread. Mozzarella + tiny pepperoni. Bake in oven @350 for until melted. Apple slices + peanut butter + crushed pretzels on the side.
2. Tiny turkey tortillas. Mini street taco flour tortillas + mayo + turkey + cheese + shredded lettuce.
3. Veggie wrap. Mini flour tortilla + Laughing Cow spicy pepper jack cheese spread + tomato + lettuce + salt & pepper + balsamic glaze.
4. Turkey Cheese Cracker Bites. Saltine crackers + Laughing Cow swiss cheese spread + turkey. Apples on the side.
5. Avocado Toast. Smashed avocado + salt & pepper + dash of onion powder + dash of garlic powder + squeeze of lime.
6. Wheat Thin Pizza Bites. Wheat Thins + pepperoni + mozzarella cheese slice. Bell pepper on the side.
7. Graham Treats. Graham crackers + peanut butter + apple slices + cinnamon sugar sprinkle. Marshmallow Fluff + strawberry slices.
8. Tiny Bean & Cheese Rollups. Mini flour tortillas + jalapeno refried beans + shredded cheddar cheese + shredded lettuce + sour cream. Salsa on the side for dipping.
9. PB&J Ritz Bites. Ritz crackers + peanut butter + strawberry jam. String cheese and grapes on the side.
1. Cheese Turkey Rollup. String cheese + turkey wrapped around it. Baked Lays + grapes on the side.
2. Tasty Tortilla Folders. Mini flour tortillas + peanut butter + banana + honey drizzle. Cheddar cheese (melted) + lettuce + Texas Petes Hot Sauce.
3. Pizzadilla. Large flour tortilla + mozzarella + tiny pepperoni. Baked @350 until cheese is melted.
4. Pumpkin Muffin w/ Butter & Brown Sugar Crumble. Strawberries on the side.
5. Kid Favorite Chocolate, Banana, Peanut Butter Protein Shake. Skinny Pop on the side.
6. Chicken Salad Bagel Crip Bites. Bagel chips + chicken salad (canned chicken + mayo + miracle whip) + apple slice. Oranges on the side.
7. Avocado + Rotisserie Chicken Toast. Toast + avocado + already cooked rotisserie chicken from Costco. Bell peppers on the side.
8. BBQ Chicken Melt w/ Chipotle Cream. Mini flour tortilla + canned chicken mixed with BBQ sauce + cheddar cheese on top. Bake @350 in oven until cheese is melted and chicken is warm. Drizzle with chipotle cream sauce.
9. Philly Folds. Mini flour tortilla + roast beef lunch meat + provolone. Melt @350 in oven. Top with shredded lettuce. Apples on the side.
1. Sweet & Savory Rice Cake. Rice cake + Laughing Cow Swiss Cheese + thin apple slices + honey ham.
2. Taquitos. (from Costco). Apples on the side.
3. Turkey + Cheese Skewers. Turkey cubes + cheddar cheese slices on toothpick. Skinny Pop on the side.
4. Chicken Salad Apple Sandwiches. Apple slices + chicken salad (canned chicken + mayo + miracle whip). Tortilla chips on the side.
5. Totally Awesome Tostada. Tostada shell + spicy jalapeno refried beans + cheddar cheese. Bake @350 until cheese is melted and beans are warm. Top with shredded lettuce + tomatoes + sour cream or chipotle cream sauce. Grapes on the side.
6. Snackers Plate. PB Bites + apples + Baked Lays.
7. Mini Cheese Melts. Mini flour tortilla + cheddar cheese. Microwave until melted and fold over. Tortilla chips + oranges on the side.
8. Turkey Cheese Melt. English muffin + cheddar cheese + turkey. Bake @350 until cheese is melted and turkey is warm. Top with small amount of mayo.
9. Cream Cheese Turkey Rollup. Large flour tortilla + cream cheese + turkey. Bell pepper + sliced string cheese on the side.
WHEW! There ya go! Lots of different combinations and flavors to help you kick your after school snacks up a notch!